The devil takes advantage of times of trauma and great suffering in our lives because our souls get shattered. He can capture a part of our soul and take it captive to his kingdom. In this captivity we feel terror, confusion, sickness, pain; we feel everything that is happening to this part of our soul that is in captivity. We can be saved and filled with the Holy Spirit and still have parts of our soul in captivity. Jesus came to set us free.
1. The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. Luke 4:18-19
Jesus was reading from the following scripture in Isaiah and he said that this scripture was now fulfilled in him.
2. The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me, because the Lord has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor. Isaiah 61:1-2a
3. Save me from all those who pursue me, and deliver me. Lest he tear my soul like a lion, Dragging me away, while there is none to deliver. Psalms 7:1b-2
4. I, the Lord, have called you in righteousness; I will take hold of your hand. I will keep you and will make you to be a covenant for the people and a light for the Gentiles, to open eyes that are blind, to free captives from prison and to release from the dungeon those who sit in darkness. Isaiah 42:6-7
5. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
6. Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen: to loose the chains of injustice and untie the cords of the yoke, to set the oppressed free and break every yoke? Isaiah 58:6
7. But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. I Peter 2:9
The imprisoned soul may see, hear and feel everything that is happening in the place of entrapment.
8. For my soul is full of trouble and my life draws near the grave. I am counted among those who go down to the pit; I am like a man without strength. I am set apart with the dead, like the slain who lie in the grave, whom you remember no more, who are cut off from your care. You have put me in the lowest pit, in the darkest depths. Your wrath lies heavily upon me; you have overwhelmed me with all your waves. Selah You have taken from me my closest friends and have made me repulsive to them. I am confined and cannot escape. Psalm 88:3-8
Fragmented souls of people can end up in these places because they rebelled against God.
9. Some sat in darkness and the deepest gloom, prisoners suffering in iron chains, for they had rebelled against the words of God and despised the counsel of the Most High. So he subjected them to bitter labor; they stumbled, and there was no one to help. Then they cried to the Lord in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains. Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men, for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron. Psalm 107:10-16
10. But you, O God, will bring down the wicked into the pit of corruption; bloodthirsty and deceitful men will not live out half their days. But as for me, I trust in you Psalm 55:23
Un-forgiveness can place a person in torment.
11. In anger his master turned him over to the jailers to be tortured, until he should pay back all he owed This is how my heavenly Father will treat each of you unless you forgive your brother from your heart. Matthew 18:34-35
King David was held captive in spiritual prisons.
12. Listen to my cry, for I am in desperate need; rescue me from those who pursue me, for they are too strong for me. Set me free from my prison, that I may praise your name. Psalm 142:6-7a
13. Save me, O God, for the waters have come up to my neck. I sink in the miry depths, where there is no foothold. I have come into the deep waters; the floods engulf me. Psalm 69:1-2
Participation in occult ceremonies may open doors to captivity. Having illness, pain, depression, terror, confusion or being trapped in lack, alcoholism, sexual perversion or drug addiction may mean that a part of a person’s soul is held captive by the enemy. Having phobias may mean entrapment also.
The Lord rescues us from our place of entrapment, heals and puts our fragmented soul back together.
14. I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand. He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Psalm 40:1-3a
In the spirit it is possible to go down into the dark places of entrapment, into dungeons and places of defilement and rescue the soul fragments. They may be in cages or chained or in pits, but the cage doors are generally not locked and the shackles are easily removed. There may be demons guarding or tormenting the soul fragments so an angel or two, or maybe Jesus goes with me. When we get back out of the regions or tunnels, I usually see a large meadow with water beside it, and Jesus standing there, ready to minister and heal the soul fragment and put the soul back together, just like in Psalm 23.
15. The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Psalm 23:1-3
16. He (the Lord) reached down from on high and took hold of me; he drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemy, from my foes, who were too strong for me. They confronted me in the day of my disaster, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me. II Samuel 22:17-20
Prayer: Father, I ask that you teach me how to rescue soul fragments from their places of confinement. Show me where I have soul fragments trapped and guide me in rescuing them. Provide me with what I need for the journey that I may be set free and healed; and help me rescue others also. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Ana Mendez Ferrell has written a book called "Regions of Captivity" which goes into this topic in more detail.