HEALTH AND HEALING
Jesus provided healing for us by dying on the cross, taking our diseases.
1. Surely he took up our infirmities and carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted. But he was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon him, and by his wounds we are healed. Isaiah 53:4-5
2. He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. I Peter 2:24
3. Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits--who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. Psalm 103:2-5
4. Worship the Lord your God, and his blessing will be on your food and water. I will take away sickness from among you, and none will miscarry or be barren in your land, I will give you a full life span. Exodus 23:25-26
5. He sent forth his word and healed them; he rescued them from the grave. Psalm 107:20
6. Heal me, O Lord, and I will be healed; save me and I will be saved, for you are the one I praise. Jeremiah 17:14
7. But for you who revere my name, the sun of righteousness will rise with healing in its wings. And you will go out and leap like calves released from the stall. Malachi 4:2
8. Surely he (God) will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. Psalm 91:3
Jesus healed the sick.
9. Jesus went throughout Galilee, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom, and healing every disease and sickness among the people. Matthew 4:23
10. And the people all tried to touch him (Jesus), because power was coming from him and healing them all. Luke 6:19
11. Jesus went through all the town and villages, teaching in their synagogues, preaching the good news of the kingdom and healing every disease and sickness. Matthew 9:35
Jesus’ disciples healed the sick. Here Jesus is speaking to the seventy-two that he sent out.
12. When you enter a town and are welcomed, eat what is set before you. Heal the sick who are there and tell them, “The kingdom of God is near you.” Luke 10:8-9
13. Philip went down to a city in Samaria and proclaimed the Christ there. When the crowds heard Philip and saw the miraculous signs he did, they all paid close attention to what he said. With shrieks, evil spirits came out of many, and many paralytics and cripples were healed. So there was great joy in that city. Acts 8:5-8
14. As a result, people brought the sick into the streets and laid them on beds and mats so that at least Peter’s shadow might fall on some of them as he passed by. Crowds gathered also from the towns around Jerusalem, bringing their sick and those tormented by evil spirits, and all of them were healed. Acts 5:15-16
We as Christians have been given the authority to pray for and heal the sick. However, sin probably needs to be confessed first because sin can cause illness.
15. Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord. And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven. Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous men is powerful and effective. James 5:14-16
16. Which is easier: to say, “Your sins are forgiven,” or to say “Get up and walk?” But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins... He (Jesus) said to the paralyzed man, “I tell you, get up, take your mat and go home.” Luke 5:23-24
17. However, if you do not obey the Lord your God and do not carefully follow all his commands and decrees I am giving you today, all these curses will come upon you and overtake you. Deuteronomy 28:15
18. Later Jesus found him (the man at the pool of Bethesda) at the temple and said to him, “See, you are well again. Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you.” John 5:14
19. If you listen carefully to the voice of the Lord your God and do what is right in his eyes, if you pay attention to his commands and keep all his decrees, I will not bring on you any of the diseases I brought on the Egyptians, for I am the Lord, who heals you. Exodus 15:26
20. Fear the Lord and turn away from evil. It will be healing to your body And refreshment to your bones. Proverbs 3:7b-8
21. See, I am setting before you today a blessing and a curse--the blessing if you obey the commands of the Lord your God that I am giving you today; the curse if you disobey the commands of the Lord your God and turn from the way that I command you today by following other gods, which you have not known. Deuteronomy 11:26-28
22. And these signs will accompany those who believe: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new tongues; they will pick up snakes with their hands; and when they drink deadly poison, it will not hurt them at all; they will place their hands on sick people, and they will get well. Mark 16:17-18
23. My son, pay attention to what I say; listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight, keep them within your heart; for they are life to those who find them and health to a man’s whole body. Proverbs 4:20-22
24. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 6:23
In Deuteronomy 28, all the diseases are listed as curses. There is a cause for every disease because there is a cause for every curse.
25. Like a fluttering sparrow or a darting swallow, an undeserved curse does not come to rest. Proverbs 26:2
If a disease is caused by sin, repenting for the sin should be done first, before praying for healing. The medical profession estimates that 80% of all disease has its origin in the soul, which is the mind, will and emotions.
26. Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers. III John 2
Demonic spirits can cause illness.
27. When evening came, many who were demon-possessed were brought to him (Jesus), and he drove out the spirits with a word and healed all the sick. This was to fulfill what was spoken through the prophet Isaiah: (Isaiah 53) “He took up our infirmities and carried our diseases.” Matthew 8:16-17
28. How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with Him. Acts 10:38
29. Even while the boy was coming, the demon threw him to the ground in a convulsion. But Jesus rebuked the evil spirit, healed the boy and gave him back to his father. Luke 9:42
30. When they came to the crowd, a man approached Jesus and knelt before him. “Lord, have mercy on my son,” he said. “He has seizures and is suffering greatly. He often falls into the fire or into the water.” Jesus rebuked the demon, and it came out of the boy, and he was healed from that moment. Matthew 17:14-15,18 (Mark 9)
31. On a Sabbath Jesus was teaching in one of the synagogues, and a woman was there who had been crippled by a spirit for eighteen years. She was bent over and could not straighten up at all. When Jesus saw her, he called her forward and said to her, “Woman, you are set free from your infirmity.” Then he put his hands on her, and immediately she straightened up and praised God. Luke 13:10-13
32. Jesus was driving out a demon that was mute. When the demon left, the man who had been mute spoke, and the crowd was amazed. Luke 11:14
33. So Satan went out from the presence of the Lord and afflicted Job with painful sores from the soles of his feet to the top of his head. Job 2:7
34. In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, and do not give the devil a foothold. Ephesians 4:26-27
35. Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. James 4:7
How do we submit to God? By obeying His commands to love and forgive others and to repent for our own sinful actions.
One category of disease is associated with fear, anxiety and stress, which weakens the immune system. The Bible says many times not to fear no matter what is happening.
36. God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging. Psalm 46:1-3
37. The Lord is my light and my salvation--whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life--of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1
38. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. Matthew 6:34
39. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7
It has actually been shown scientifically that praying in tongues builds up your immune system significantly.
40. But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Jude 20
Some of the diseases associated with fear, anxiety and stress are high blood pressure, heart attacks, strokes, aneurysms, irritable bowel syndrome, nausea, malabsorption, impotence, eczema, diabetes (type 2), asthma and insomnia.
If we do not feel that we are loved, we will have fear, anxiety and stress.
41. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. I John 4:27
42. And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. I John 4:16
43. This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. I John 4:9
44. The Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:7-8
45 . Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever. Psalm 118:1
If you have fear and do not feel loved, I would suggest reading the scriptures in the Love of God topic out loud. God’s love is perfect, and perfect love drives out fear.
Most cancer and arthritis, including osteoarthritis is generally associated with long-term bitterness and resentment.
Depression is generally associated with lack of nurturing with the resulting lack of self esteem, self rejection, self hatred and guilt.
Autoimmune diseases are another important category of disease. In an autoimmune disease the immune system, especially the white blood cells attack the body, instead of attacking bacteria, viruses, etc. It can be the result of self-hatred, self-rejection, guilt or lack of self-esteem. If these beliefs go on long enough, the immune system starts to agree that the body is bad and attacks it. Usually there have been many negative words about the worth of the person or extreme rejection, maybe by a father or other male figure.
An autoimmune disease can take many forms. If the white blood cells attack the lining of the colon, the person gets Chrohn’s disease; if the pancreatic function is attacked the person gets diabetes (type 1); and if the connective tissue of the organs is attacked, the person gets lupus. If the brain is attacked, the person gets Alzheimer’s; if the cartilage of the skeleton is attacked, the person gets rheumatoid arthritis; and if the skin is attacked, the person gets psoriasis.
Prayer: Father, I thank you for showing me what my part is in my healing, including any sins that I need to repent of, and including any fears or other negative emotions or beliefs. I command all the electrical and magnetic frequencies in my body to be in normal harmony and balance. I command my body to produce normal hormone levels, including normal histamine, serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine and adrenalin. I ask for wisdom about what to eat and drink to get proper nutrients in my body. I command the pH balance of my body to be normal. I curse any harmful organisms or microorganisms in my body. I now command my ______ to be healed, in Jesus’ name. Amen.
Because so many of our emotional and physical problems have been inherited, it is necessary to address the generational causes. The medical community knows that diseases tend to go down family lines from parent to child, sometimes skipping a generation. The following is a prayer to remove the effects of the diseases and infirmities that are in our generational line so that they will not affect us.
Prayer: Father, I come against and break the power of the generational infirmities and diseases from both sides of my family line for all generations back. I specifically bind and break the power of the following diseases that I am aware of: ________ I also come against any diseases or infirmities that I am not aware of that are in my family line and bind and break their power off me, and my family too if that is possible. I choose to forgive and release my ancestors and not hold them accountable for the way these diseases and infirmities have come down to me and affected my life. Please forgive me for any way that I have allowed these diseases and infirmities to come upon me. I also come against and cancel any words spoken by me or any members of my family, doctors or any body else that have reinforced and promoted these diseases and infirmities. I also come against the evil spirits that have accompanied these diseases and infirmities down my family line, and I order them to leave me. I specifically order all demonic spirits promoting (any particular problems) to leave me right now. I break the power of these diseases and infirmities that have come into my life and the accompanying evil spirits, and I ask for healing and restoration of any damage that they have done to my body, soul or spirit. Please reveal to me any way that I have by sin, reinforced the power of the evil spirits against me. I also ask that the DNA that I inherited from my ancestors, the DNA corrupted by sin and disease be replaced by the pure and undefiled DNA of Jesus Christ as I am now in His kingdom and in His family. Jesus took our curses, our sins and our diseases, and I now receive the freedom from them that He purchased for me. I claim good health for my body, soul and spirit this day in the name of Jesus. Amen.
Joan Hunter has written a book called "Healing the Whole Man Handbook" and Henry W. Wright has a book titled "A More Excellent Way." These books go into the topic of healing more thoroughly.