Before Jesus was crucified, He told his disciples that He would send the Counselor, the Holy Spirit to take His place in the earth.
1. But I (Jesus) tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. John 16:7
2. If you love me (Jesus), you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you. John 14:15-17
3. All this I (Jesus) have spoken while still with you. But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. John 14:25-26
4. I (Jesus) have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. John 16:12-13
5. Whoever believes in me (Jesus), as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him. By this he meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in him were later to receive. Up to that time the Spirit had not been given, since Jesus had not yet been glorified. John 7:37b-39
6. When the Counselor comes, whom I (Jesus) will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of truth who goes out from the Father, he will testify about me. John 15:26
7. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8
A few people in the Old Testament, like prophets and kings, were given the Holy Spirit, but not everyone was eligible to receive Him. The coming of the Holy Spirit to all was a prophecy in Joel.
8. I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your old men will dream dreams, your young men will see visions. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days. Joel 2:28b-29
This prophecy from Joel was fulfilled on the day of Pentecost when the disciples were gathered in the Upper Room and the Holy Spirit came.
9. When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them. Acts 2:1-4
A few persons in the New Testament, including Jesus, received the Holy Spirit before He came in Acts 2.
10. For he (John) will be great in the sight of the Lord. He is never to take wine or other fermented drink, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth. Luke 1:15
11. The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you (Mary), and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God. Luke 1:35
12. When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. Luke 3:21-22a
The spiritual gifts of wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, prophecy, discerning of spirits, tongues and interpretation of tongues are given to us by the Holy Spirit.
13. There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. ... Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. ... All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines. I Corinthians 12:4,7,11
Various blessings come from the Holy Spirit. We all need the Holy Spirit in our lives.
14. So I (Paul) say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. ... But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:16-17,22-23a
15. Those who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Romans 8:14-16
16. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God. For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the man’s spirit within him? In the same way no one knows the thoughts of God but the Spirit who is from God, that we may understand what God has freely given us. This is what we speak, not in words taught us by human wisdom but in words taught by the Spirit, expressing spiritual truths in spiritual words. The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. I Corinthians 2:10b-14
17. Do not get drunk on wine, which leads to debauchery. Instead, be filled with the Spirit. Ephesians 5:18
18. Do not put out the Spirit’s fire (Quench not the Spirit). I Thessalonians 5:19
19. Those who obey his (Jesus’) commands live in him, and he in them. And this is how we know that he lives in us: We know it by the Spirit he gave us. I John 3:24
20. This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. I John 4:2-3a
21. When you are brought before synagogues, rulers and authorities, do not worry about how you will defend yourselves or what you will say, for the Holy Spirit will teach you at that time what you should say. Luke 12:11-12
The Jewish believers were quite surprised when the Holy Spirit was given to the Gentiles. Receiving the Holy Spirit is separate from salvation. The ability to pray in tongues or prophesy is evidence of the Holy Spirit.
22. While Peter was still speaking these words (to Cornelius and his friends), the Holy Spirit came on all who heard the message. The circumcised believers who had come with Peter were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out even on the Gentiles. For they heard them speaking in tongues and praising God. Acts 10:44-46a
23. When the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had accepted the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them. When they arrived, they prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit, because the Holy Spirit had not yet come upon any of them; they had simply been baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. Then Peter and John placed their hands on them, and they received the Holy Spirit. Acts 8:14-17
24. There (Ephesus) he (Paul) found some disciples and asked them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” They answered, “No.” ... On hearing this, they were baptized into the name of the Lord Jesus. When Paul placed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came on them, and they spoke in tongues and prophesied. Acts 19:1b-2a,5-6
The Holy Spirit guides us in our prayers.
25. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groans that words cannot express. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints in accordance with God’s will. Romans 8:26b-27
Praying in tongues builds up our faith. It was also been discovered that praying in tongues builds up our immune system significantly.
26. But you, dear friends, build yourselves up in your most holy faith and pray in the Holy Spirit. Jude 20