Occult practices are strictly forbidden. All occult involvement wounds our personal spirit. This is a list of occult practices.
1. When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable ways of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord, and because of these detestable practices the Lord your God will drive out those nations before you. You must be blameless before the Lord your God. The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the Lord your God has not permitted you to do so. Deuteronomy 18:9-14
In biblical days hypnotism was called “casting a spell” and a hypnotist was called a “charmer.” We must not surrender our will to anyone other than the Lord Jesus Christ. Doors may be opened by others that should not be opened.
Divination is the practice of peering into the future or the unknown. It is satan’s copy of the gifts of knowledge and prophecy. The sin behind divination is fear and lack of trust in the Lord. As Christians we may seek the Lord’s will or His guidance, but the Lord, in His wisdom, may not want us to know some things. Jesus told His disciples, I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. John 16:12
2. Do not practice divination or sorcery. Leviticus 19:26b
Sorcery is a form of magic or witchcraft that uses spirits and powers to manipulate nature and cause things to happen. Its methods are evil for selfish purposes. Satanic cults use sorcery against people and the church to cause problems.
3. Now for some time a man named Simon had practiced sorcery in the city and amazed all the people of Samaria. He boasted that he was someone great, and all the people, both high and low, gave him their attention and exclaimed, “This man is the divine power known as the Great Power.” They followed him because he had amazed them for a long time with his magic. Acts 8:9-11
4. “So I will come near to you for judgment. I will be quick to testify against sorcerers, adulterers and perjurers, against those who defraud laborers of their wages, who oppress the widows and the fatherless, and deprive aliens of justice, but do not fear me,” says the Lord Almighty. Malachi 3:5
5. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake. Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts: Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs. Exodus 7:10b-12
6. Moses and Aaron did just as the Lord had commanded. He raised his staff in the presence of Pharaoh and his officials and struck the water of the Nile, and all the water was changed into blood. ... But the Egyptian magicians did the same things by their secret arts. Exodus 7:20, 22a
7. Then the Lord said to Moses, “Tell Aaron, ‘Stretch out your hand with your staff over the streams and canals and ponds, and make frogs come up on the land of Egypt.’” So Aaron stretched out his hand over the waters of Egypt, and the frogs came up and covered the land. But the magicians did the same things by their secret arts; they also made frogs come up on the land of Egypt. Exodus 8:5-7
8. When Aaron stretched out his hand with the staff and struck the dust of the ground, gnats came upon men and animals. All the dust throughout the land of Egypt became gnats. But when the magicians tried to produce gnats by their secret arts, they could not. And the gnats were on men and animals. The magicians said to Pharaoh, “This is the finger of God.” Exodus 8:17b-19a
9. But the cowardly, the unbelieving, the vile, the murderers, the sexually immoral, those who practice magic arts (sorcerers), the idolaters and all liars--their place will be in the fiery lake of burning sulfur. This is the second death. Revelation 21:8
Prayer is not magic or sorcery. It is possible to claim God’s promises with such a wrong heart that we try to force God to do what we want. But if it is something that the Bible says is ours, then we need to find and remove any hindrances to receiving our requests. God loves us and He wants to give us the good gifts that we are requesting.
Astrology is also the sin of divination which tries to peer into the future.
10. Keep on, then, with your magic spells and with your many sorceries, which you have labored at since childhood. Perhaps you will succeed, perhaps you will cause terror. All the counsel you have received has only worn you out! Let your astrologers come forward, those stargazers who make predictions month by month, let them save you from what is coming upon you. Isaiah 47:12-13
Mediums or spiritists try to confer with the spirits of departed persons to gain knowledge about the future or to cause things to happen. This is also called necromancy.
11. A man or woman who is a medium or spiritist (wizard) among you must be put to death. You are to stone them; their blood will be on their own heads. Leviticus 20:27
12. I will set my face against the person who turns to mediums and spiritists to prostitute himself by following them, and I will cut him off from his people. Leviticus 20:6
13. Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them. I am the Lord your God. Leviticus 19:31
14. When men tell you to consult mediums and spiritists, who whisper (peep) and mutter, should not a people inquire of their God? Why consult the dead on behalf of the living? Isaiah 8:19
Most people believe that mediums actually consult demons familiar with the people that have died, so they are able to deceive the persons that are inquiring. However, when Saul went to a medium in Endor to inquire of Samuel about what he should do, maybe Samuel actually appeared.
15. The king (Saul) said to her, “Don’t be afraid. What do you see?” The woman said, “I see a spirit coming up out of the ground.” “What does he look like?” he asked. “An old man wearing a robe is coming up,” she said. Then Saul knew it was Samuel, and he bowed down and prostrated himself with his face to the ground. Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?” I Samuel 28:13-15