TRUTH AND LIES
Satan and his demons use deception to influence us. Satan is called the father of lies. He places lies in our mind, hoping that we will believe them.
1. He (Satan) was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. John 8:44b
2. The god of this age (satan) has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. II Corinthians 4:4
3. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evil men and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived. II Timothy 3:12-13
The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of truth. He wants us to know the truth and wants to reveal the truth to us. He is the only One that can reveal truth in our innermost being.
4. And I (Jesus) will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--the Spirit of truth. John 14:16-17a
5. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. John 16:13
6. To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:31-32
7. In fact, for this reason I (Jesus) was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me. John 18:37b
8. Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. John 17:17
9. Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth. II Timothy 2:15
We are told in the Bible to renew our minds, which means to believe the truth. That truth is found in what the Bible says.
10. Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. Romans 12:2
11. I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe. Ephesians 1:17-19a
12. For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please him in every way; bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God. Colossians 1:9-10
13. So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking. They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. Ephesians 4:17-18
The Israelites would not enter the Promised Land because they were believing lies that the giants were too strong, the cities were too well fortified, and they would die if they went in to take the land. Their unbelief was belief in a distorted view of reality. After living in slavery for generations in Egypt, they had many deeply held false beliefs about God and themselves that were not removed by all the miracles that they saw on their way to the Promised Land.
14. But you were unwilling to go up; you rebelled against the command of the Lord your God. You grumbled in your tents and said, “The Lord hates us; so he brought us out of Egypt to deliver us into the hands of the Amorites to destroy us. Where can we go? Our brothers have made us lose heart. They say, ‘The people are stronger and taller than we are; the cities are large, with walls up to the sky. We even saw the Anakites there.’” Deuteronomy 1:26-28
15. So we see that they were not able to enter, because of their unbelief. Hebrews 3:19
Belief in the wrong things can cause disaster. Adam and Eve believed the lies of the enemy and had to leave the garden, and they lived in a perfect world without sin. They had never sinned. They were not forced in any way to disobey God, but they chose to because they believed lies. Being deceived is enough to cause a person to sin.
16. I (Jesus) tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? John 3:11-12
17. “Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.” John 4:48
18. I (Jesus) tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. John 6:47
19. “Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” declares the Lord. “They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies.” Jeremiah 23:32a
20. At that time if anyone says to you, “Look, here is the Christ!” or, “There he is!” do not believe it. For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect--if that were possible. Matthew 24:23-24
Deception is very wide spread and includes all the ways that our perceptions or interpretations of reality are distorted or incomplete. It is possible to believe something about an event cognitively and at the same time believe something else emotionally about the same event that are totally contradictory. Some of this deception comes from our culture where our ideas of sexual behavior, money and success can be very different from Biblical truth. Children usually pick up their parent’s values and ways of viewing themselves, others, God and their priorities. Children observe what is happening around them and to them, and try to make sense of the world, but their interpretation may be wrong. Children can get a distorted view of themselves very easily by negative words spoken to them. This will color their whole lives if the truth is not revealed. Fortunately, God wants to heal us and help us know the truth.
Christians can be deceived because of their background just like anyone else. In some churches there is an implied belief that Christians should not need to struggle with sin or have emotional problems. If they do, they must have some moral defect, are not trying hard enough, are not praying enough or are not reading the Bible enough. That viewpoint has caused great frustration and discouragement. Should the only difference between Christians and non-Christians be that Christians are going to heaven? The divorce rate is the same.
Each of us has a deeply held set of internalized beliefs that cause us to distort how we see the world, what we feel, how we make sense of happenings and how we respond to situations. Without the Holy Spirit, we are helpless to change those beliefs and are trapped into responding as if they were true.
21. Leave them (the Pharisees); they are blind guides. If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit. Matthew 15:14
22. My people are destroyed from lack of knowledge.... A people without understanding will come to ruin! Hosea 4:6a,14b
23. Therefore my people will go into exile for lack of understanding. Isaiah 5:13a
24. The sinful mind (mind set on the flesh) is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Romans 8:7
An emotionally-based experientially-caused lie cannot be replaced with truth using logic. Truth is more than information. Deeply embedded lies can only be replaced with truth that comes by revelation of the Holy Spirit. We must see things from God’s perspective to know who we truly are, who God is, and how life works. We are living out the implications of the lies that we believe.
Obedience is an act of faith and trust in God. He knows what is best. He brings circumstances into our lives that reveal feelings and hidden lies, if we will notice them. Facing the fact that we are believing lies is distasteful. We believe that we already know what we need to know for the most part, especially if we have been in church and have read the Bible. But it is necessary for us to cooperate with the Holy Spirit if we are to find the hidden lies that we believe and replace them with the truth. Finding the truth requires determination.
25. If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land. Isaiah 1:19
Prayer: Father, please reveal
to me the lies that I am believing. I do not want to be deceived, and I
ask You to help me in learning the truth, which is Your truth. Thank
You. In Jesus' name, amen.