WHO WE ARE
It is very important that we know who we are as Christians. Otherwise, we will approach life believing lies and feeling bad about ourselves, and make decisions based upon those lies. Read these scriptures out loud to yourself, and put your name in appropriate places to emphasize that the scripture is referring to you.
We are God’s sons and daughters, and therefore heirs.
1. For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of son-ship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory. Romans 8:15-17
2. He (Jesus) came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God--children born not of natural decent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God. John 1:11-13
3. You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise. Galatians 3:26-29
4. In love he (God) predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will. Ephesians 1:4b-5
Who else are we?
5. As God’s fellow workers we urge you not to receive God’s grace in vain. II Corinthians 6:1
6. Don’t you now that you yourselves are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you? I Corinthians 3:16
7. You are the salt of the earth. You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Matthew 5:13a,14
8. I (Jesus) no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. John 15:15
9. To all in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints. Romans 1:7a
10. But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth. Acts 1:8
11. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation: that God was reconciling the world to himself in Christ, not counting men’s sins against them. And he has committed to us the message of reconciliation. We are therefore Christ’s ambassadors, as though God were making his appeal through us. We implore you on Christ’s behalf: Be reconciled to God. God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. II Corinthians 5:17-21
12. Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it. I Corinthians 12:27
13. I Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 1:1
14. For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10
15. I (Jesus) am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5
How are we special?
16. But our citizenship is in heaven. Philippians 3:20a
17. You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body. I Corinthians 19b-20
18. Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. Romans 5:1
19. Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6
20. Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. Romans 8:1-2
21. Wherein he hath made us accepted in the beloved. Ephesians 1:6
22. For through him (Jesus) we both (Jews and Gentiles) have access to the Father by one Spirit. Ephesians 2:18
23. For he (God) has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption (through his blood), the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:13-14
24. But he who unites himself with the Lord is one with him in spirit. I Corinthians 6:17
25. In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence. Ephesians 3:12
26. I can do everything through him who gives me strength (who empowers me). Philippians 4:13
27. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. Colossians 3:2-3
28. Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm (establishes) in Christ. He anointed us, set his seal of ownership on us, and put his Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. II Corinthians 1:21-22
29. And you have been given fullness (made complete) in Christ, who is the head over every power and authority. Colossians 2:10
30. Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade--kept in heaven for you, who through faith are shielded by God’s power. I Peter 1:3-4a
31. Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. Hebrews 4:16
32. Then God said, “Let us make man in our image, in our likeness.” Genesis 1:26a
33. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus, in order that in the coming ages he might show the incomparable riches of his grace, expressed in his kindness to us in Christ Jesus. Ephesians 2:6
34. If God is for us, who can be against us? He who did not spare his own Son, but gave him up for us all--how will he not also, along with him, graciously give us all things? Who will bring any charge against those whom God has chosen? It is God who justifies. Who is he that condemns? Christ Jesus, who died--more than that, who was raised to life--is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us. Romans 8:31b-34
35. You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit--fruit that will last. John 15:16a
36. God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. I John 5:11a-12
37. To those who have been called, who are loved by God the Father and kept by Jesus Christ. Jude 1b
38. Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written: “For your sake we face death all day long; we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.” No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, or any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. Romans 8:35-39
39. We know that anyone born of God does not (deliberately and knowingly) continue to sin; the one who was born of God (Jesus) keeps him safe, and the evil one cannot harm him. I John 5:18
40. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to sit with me on my throne, just as I overcame and sat down with my Father on his throne. Revelation 3:21
41. For he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. Hebrews 13:5
42. To the church of God in Corinth, to those sanctified in Christ Jesus and called to be holy. I Corinthians 1:2a
43. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity (fear), but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline II Timothy 1:7
44. His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. II Peter 1:3-4
45. And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Prayer: Father, I know that what Your word says is the truth. Help me to know that what Your word says about me is the truth. Thank You. In Jesus' name. Amen.
To be Spoken over Anyone Who Is Unsure of Who They Are in the Lord: You are one of God’s own children and He loves you so very much. God called you into being in His timing and set you in the right place. Your life is not a mistake. You are a treasure just because you exist and not for what you can do. Jesus died on the cross for you. God has prepared a destiny for you and He invites you to grow into the full life that He has planned for you.
Prayer from Another: Father, I ask You to wrap Your arms around _____ and pour your love all over him/her. Give him/her gifts of trust and rest and peace. Destroy all the lies that he/she has believed and bring to the cross every destructive attitude, habit and expectation that resulted. Breathe a fresh breath of life into his/her spirit and help him/her be whole in the way he/she sees himself/herself. Help him/her forgive all who wounded him/her, and I ask that You forgive him/her for his/her negative responses to what happened. Melt any hardness of heart and draw him/her to the destiny that You have waiting for him/her. Place a shield of protection around him/her to protect him/her from the attacks of the enemy. I bless _____ in the name of Jesus. Amen.